About

Quick-Facts

History of the Beta Beta chapter


The Beta Beta chapter of Beta Theta Pi has proudly been represented on the campus of the University of Mississippi since 1879. The chapter was originally formed after merging with Alpha Kappa Phi, a small fraternity based out of Centre College, in Kentucky. Our chapter, Epsilon, was the strongest. The Epsilon chapter and the Alpha chapter of AKPhi merged with Beta Theta Pi in late May, 1879. In 1890, the Beta Beta Chapter also merged with one of the previously established secret societies on campus, the Mystical Seven. This merger was the beginning of Beta's storied history on this campus, and the fraternity has been a part of the Ole Miss community ever since. Every year, members of the Beta Beta chapter are recognized for making great strides in local service for both the university and the city of Oxford.


History of Beta Theta Pi Fraternity


Beta Theta Pi was originally founded at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio in 1839. The story, as every Beta knows, goes as follows:

At nine o'clock on the evening of the eighth day of the eighth month of the year 1839, eight earnest young men, all students at Miami University, held the first meeting of Beta Theta Pi in the Hall of the Union Literary Society, an upper room in the old college building (known as "Old Main.")

The eight founders in the order in which their names appear in the minutes were:

John Reily Knox, 1839

Samuel Taylor Marshall, 1840

David Linton, 1839

James George Smith, 1840

Charles Henry Hardin, 1841

John Holt Duncan, 1840

Michael Clarkson Ryan, 1839

Thomas Boston Gordon, 1840

"of ever honored memory"